Words I will journal by.

Create. Learn. Try. Believe you can.

Wednesday 25 May 2016

Another step on the Circle Journal journey!

As Wanda has now received Hazel Agnew's Circle Journal I am able to post some photos of my process for the two pages I recently completed in it. Hazel's journal pages are a mix of recycled papers, card and  packaging waste. I had free pick of all the 'pages' so chose a piece of corrugated card with some of the corrugations exposed. I knew I wanted to complete both sides and chose to create two completely different spreads.



I started by painting both sides first with black Gesso, then white gesso but leaving a wide margin of the black gesso all around the pages. For the darker of the two pages I also drew/scribbled into the white gesso while it was still wet. 

I also added some text paper to the scribbled page with matte medium. 
Then it was a case of adding paint with a dry brush until I was happy with the colour blending and using the same colours to add more layers with stencils and stamping. 

I also added Snowflake and Little Blackdress in different areas using bottle tops, the side of a scraper and PaperArtsy mini stamps. I used a lovely little Stampotique image for the main focus on the first page. This was stamped and coloured with my prisma colours. I prepared the area with Snowflake so the image wouldn't be overshadowed by so much detail in the background. 

I prepared several images to see which would best complement the background. I added a little bit of doodling with a white gel pen. I used washi tape around the painted white box I'd created for the focal image and to help 'ground' it so it wouldn't appear to be floating. Then I typed a title to finish the page. The second page, using different colours was developed in the same way but completed very differently. I just had great fun with this page. 

To complete the page I used a large jar lid to draw out three circles. Using my finger and the new Crayola Twistables/slick sticks that I'd bought from PaperArtsy at Port Sunlight, I blended various colours inside and round the circumference of the circles, but where I used the crayons too heavily I found they were easy to remove and knock back with a baby wipe to reveal the paint colour underneath. I then used a stencil to add white paint across the circles to create an explosion of paint through the page. I also splattered Snowflake paint with a paintbrush to add to the effect. I only needed to add some labels to complete the page. I hope Hazel likes what I've added to her journal. I certainly enjoyed the process. Hope you enjoyed the post too. I would love to know you dropped by.

17 comments:

  1. This is so exciting Chris, seeing the thought and creativity that you have put into my journal. I am very flattered that you have worked so hard on so many layers and with thoughtful trial and error to create such fantastic pages. I absolutely love them and they cretainly make me smile! Good on yer matey! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's such a lovely thing to say Hazel! Thankyou xxx

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful pages Chris, love the bold bright colours, squiggles, layers, texture... lucky Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Chris! Both of your pages here make for a real feast for the eyes. I love the vibrancy in colour and style. I know zero about things like this but I imagine it's as labour-intensive as you want it to be (e.g. all that layering!). These look like they've been created with heart and soul and a big helping of joy!
    I would happily hang your 'bubbles' piece on my living room wall!
    Love looking at your art; always inspiring.
    Mel
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your lovely comment Mel! It's like a big hug xxxx

      Delete
  4. wow chris what happy happy pages!! all thoses gorgeous layers..not surprised Hazel loves them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin. Looking forward to our meet up!

      Delete
  5. How gorgeous both spreads and pages are, Chris!!!!
    I really love them, they are charming and colorful, fab result and thanks for the steps xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Chris, I've just received your card today, yippee!!!!!
      It's really gorgeous, love the technique, colours and everything, it's a really cute and lovely card I love it!
      I will look and keep into mind your birthday date too, will try to send you one special for your day at this occasion :)
      Hugs and happy week-end, Coco xxxx

      Delete
  7. I'm a bit confused, and let me tell ya, it doesn't take much! Are these single pieces of paper you've done these on or are they part of a journal? Anyhow they are both fab but I love, love, love the bottom one xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only just seen this Sam. Sorry. I worked on the front and reverse of a piece of corrugated card. Hazel's journal is a compilation of throwaway packaging so we are up cycling odd pieces of card, canvas and paper. She provided lots of different substrates, joined by a metal ring. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete