How excited was I to be chosen (randomly) to take part in this particular #3UP Summertime challenge: even more excited to be generously given 3 sets of pre-loved, Hot Picks stamp sets together with a selection of portfolio crayons and Crayola Twistables. I decided to create a layout on a 10" x 10" piece of grey board and a 4" x4" mini box frame. I wanted to select stamps from all three sets and to use a combination of Portfolios, Twistables and Gelatos.
This was then torn into strips to cover the box frame and the aperture which was then glued on.
I sealed this with DecoArt matte medium.
I wanted to use the poppy head from HP1606EZ as a key feature on the layout. I decided to increase its size by layering it up several times to attach to the corner of the frame. I used the same portfolios I'd used for the frame only this time I blended them with water to turn them into sprays. I did this by rubbing each crayon across the bottom of a small glass dish, added water then decanted them into mini spray bottles. The secret is not to add too much water! Like this:
These colours were then sprayed across a couple of sheets of PaperArtsy Smoothy card (240gsm).
...and stamped with the poppy head and black archival ink.
These were cut out and sealed with Fresco satin glaze. They were then layered up and glued to form a larger poppy head flower and sprayed with a sparkle varnish.
Now for the prepared Grey board background. I use this same technique to turn similar colour Gelatos into sprays. Before spraying, however, I stamped and embossed (in white) the poppy head several times across the board to act as a resist to the Gelatos. Once I had done this I sprayed the Gelatos across the background, allowing the colours to mix and merge, drip and puddle around the stencilled texture. Delicious and great fun. Once dry, I rubbed a couple of the metallic Gelatos through a few Tim Holtz stencils.
I stamped various stamps from the three sets across a sheet of PA Tissuestock and tore around some of these before adhering them to the background with matte medium.
Here's a close up of those colours settling in and around the texture paste.
Now to use those gorgeous butterflies from sets: HP1301EZ and HP1507EZ! I decided to use the Crayola Twistables for these. Although they have a limited colour range they fortunately had the perfect colour combo for this spread.
This time I dry blended the colours across PA card stock and Tissue Stock. I sealed the colours with PA satin glaze which helped them to merge further, then stamped all four sizes of butterflies onto both substrates. These were cut out, layered up and micro beads added along the body sections. I also added antennae to the largest butterfly. After adhering the box frame onto the board, I was able to place the butterflies into position, adhering the largest one to the opposite corner of the box frame to the poppy flower head.
Now it was a case of adding text and embellishments to complete the final stages. The words were taken from set: HP1301EZ. I used various die cuts I had in my stash - I love that Prim poppy die! I coloured some Golden bead gel and rubbed that around the edge of the grey board frame, and glued some micro beads spilling out of the box frame.
Finally, I added some beads and doodled around them and there it was: in all it's glory! I've loved making this. It sits proudly on its easel on my bookcase in the dining room and makes me smile each time I look at it. And I'm hooked on using crayons! Here are the delicious stamp sets Leandra sent me for this challenge:
I congratulate any of you who managed to stay with me through the entire blog post but don't blame any of you who just looked at the photos. Hopefully, they were sufficient. I was lucky enough to be paired up this evening with the very talented Donna Ragdoll and Nikki Killinger. You can see their projects here.
Thanks Leandra and Darcy for this lovely opportunity. I've had a ball!