Words I will journal by.

Create. Learn. Try. Believe you can.

Monday 3 April 2017

Going Around!

Hi everyone! Hope you are over the Monday blues and looking forward to the rest of your week. I'm blogging again tonight, very aware that I'm almost a regular blogger at the moment! I'm pleased to say that I have found my mojo again, at last, especially for art journaling. This time, I've produced a project which is using some of the gorgeous products in the March Goodie box by Artful Days, but coinciding with the current PaperArtsy challenge who are running a 'Blue/Ochre' colour challenge. Wonderful combination. I realised I could combine the two when I saw the fabulous papers in March's Goodie Box selection. The papers are always fabulous but this time they incorporated some blue and some ochre colours in the selection by My Minds Eye.
The theme of the March selection is: Circles - with an apt title: 'Going Around'. I adore this product and I know many of you reading this, do too. Each Goodie box is jam-packed with real quality products, carefully chosen by Julie Bell. There is so much each month to make several Mixed Media projects.  Equally, if you subscribe, you will be able to build up a really great stash that combines each month to make yet more projects. I'm always dipping in and out of each box. 
Who doesn't love 'Circles'? They feature in so many art journal spreads and on greetings cards. And, as I am no exception, I was really excited to receive so much inspiration for my own art journal page. I've used various elements from the Goodie Box to create my page, supported by many PaperArtsy products. The two are a good marriage! 
 
I started by taking the Scrapiniec large circles frame together with three of the MDF circles and laying them down the centre of the page.  I then used two or three of my PaperArtsy Fresco chalk paints in made up sprays -  in various blues - and sprayed these down the page over the laid down circles.
Once the circles are removed, a ghost-like effect is created. This means I can use the sprayed circles for another project. I've used: Caribbean Sea, China and Midnight to create this first layer. I'm working in my Strathmore Mixed Media art journal. 
I then over-stamped some of the ghosted circles with black Archival ink, using the gorgeous polymer stamps included in the kit. These are fabulous as they give the appearance of sewn circles. I love these. 
The next layer involved stamping, using various PaperArtsy and Seth Apter stamp sets, maintaining the blue monotone before introducing various Archival inks closer to the ochre colour to introduce some contrast.
Here are the stamps I used to create the background and for the focal images.
Lovely to see how the different coloured stamping builds up the layers. Now to prepare the main
 image. This would be stamped on one of the cut out pieces from the Scrapiniec large circles frame. But first I had to colour it. Can you see where I got the idea from? (Hint:PA packaging). 
I used a toothbrush to stipple the different paint colours on, trying to produce an 'ochre' colour from them. This photo also shows the stamp set I used to select the main image. 
My penultimate layer involved selecting papers to die-cut circles from and embellishments from the Goodie box to create and continue the 'Circles' theme. I was also given some mini circle die-cuts from my lovely crafty friend, Lesley Ebdon. 
Finally, I typed out some words and phrases on vintage paper that I felt were apt for the title of the Goodie Box and this page. I added some washi tape and dated the page. So there you are. I do hope you like it? I certainly enjoyed the time I spent on it and hope it inspires you to pop over to Artful Days and purchase a box or two! 
Until next time xxx


23 comments:

  1. what a beautiful journal page, Chris! Gorgeous shades of blue and so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Chris if you had not told us all that you had previously lost your mojo we would have never have guessed. You really do amaze me with your colour and perception and how you bring everything to life within your journal pages. Thank you Chris for another tremendous piece of Art work.. Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracey. This is such a lovely comment. Thankyou so much for your encouragement xxxx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous Chris, loving the circles and your design, very eye catching. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great page Chris, fab layout, love how you used those circles for the background and lovely focal image - perfect xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great page Chris, love how you used the Scrapiniec circle frame, great idea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules! I've got a whimsical idea for that circles frame now. I love it. Think I might need to buy a few more from you.

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous page Chris. The elements you used are all great. Love those stitched effect circle stamps. Glad your mono decided to wake up so you could treat us to this wonderful step by step to a brilliant page.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awthankyou so much Lesley for such a lovely comment xxx

      Delete
  7. I love this Chris. It's fabulous. Great tutorial of your creation. What a wonderful ambassador you are for the goodie box and you have chosen my all time favourite PA stamp too. Very inspiring. Xx 😝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Hazel for such a lovely comment. You are always so encouraging. I don't often use this set but it just seemed right for this!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had lots of fun with the goodie bags!!. I love your use of circles and the die cuts, they seem to stop your eye and guide you to digest all of the surrounding stamping and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy making this Bryan. Thanks for such a great comment and for dropping by xxx

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful pages Chris, great composition and full of fun elements. I love it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This page is absolutely stunning, Chris, I love every detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kirsten, you are so kind. Thank you xxx

      Delete
  11. This page is sensational Chris. I am in love with all the layering -- and of course the circles. Would love to include this on an upcoming blog post. Can you email me at shap97@gmail.com if that is okay? Thanks, Seth

    ReplyDelete